Ravenwood gains key district win over Summit in goal frenzy

Ravenwood gains key district win over Summit in goal frenzy


Early in the second half, it was anybody’s game.

Then came a flood of goals by Ravenwood.

The Raptors broke a 1-all tie by scoring four straight goals, including three in an 11-minute span, in a 5-1 rout of visiting Summit on Tuesday night.

“We just kept attacking,” Raptors coach Adam Harris said. “We’ve been working a lot in practice on finishing and we possessed the ball pretty good. Some games it just clicks.”

Sisay Putty gave Ravenwood (5-2, 2-1 District 11-AAA) a 1-0 when he scored on a breakaway with 39 seconds left in the first half.

Summit’s Ryan Catone tied the score 1-1 with a goal in the 44th minute, but then the Raptors’ offense got untracked.

Nick Dang, Ethan Glass and Max Frasher scored during an 11-minute flurry to give Ravenwood a commanding 4-1 lead.

“Sometimes you get that one goal and the other team kind of gets down a little bit,” Harris said. “You get a little bit of adrenaline and momentum going forward, and it kind of snowballs from there.”

Nick Dang gave the Raptors a 2-1 lead when he beat Spartans goalkeeper Jordan Clunan on a penalty kick low to the left side in the 45th minute.

Then Ethan Glass scored on a high shot from 25 yards out on the left side to give Ravenwood a 3-1 advantage in the 54th minute. The ball sailed over Clunan’s head into the right side of the net.

“I just heard someone say shoot and I got the ball over here, and I just hit it,” Glass said. “I was just, like, worst-case scenario it’s a cross and then it just went in. I was, like, all right there it goes and the floodgates just opened.”

Two minutes after Glass’ goal, Max Frasher scored from 10 yards out on a breakaway to increase the Raptors lead to 4-1.

Summit’s Julian Houston almost narrowed the deficit to two, but his header on a cross from Cole Sims was called back by an offside call in the 64th minute.

Travis Born finished the scoring when he found the back of the net on a shot from the arc of the 18-yard box in the 77th minute.

“We were able to equalize and I believe the second goal they had was the PK, which I disagreed with,” Spartans coach Dustin Butler said. “But it is what it is. That’s something we’ve been fighting through all year: getting down by a goal and being able to overcome things like that.”

Summit (2-5, 1-3) is a young team that start three freshmen.

“I want them to remember what this night felt like because it’s not going to happen again,” Butler said. “This is my second year. I’m just trying to give these guys some stability. They had three different coaches in three different years when I took it on so there were a lot of things in terms of the structural part of it, the administrative side.”

Both teams had good scoring chances in the first half before Putty’s first goal.

“They’re a really good team,” Harris said. “We just put some good chances away that we would normally miss. That (score) is definitely not reflective of the game. I think they played great. We had opportunities in the second half that we just kind of finished.”

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *