By SARAH GRACE TAYLOR
The city of Spring Hill’s new “safe exchange zone,” provides a secure place for citizens to meet for online sales exchanges.
The zone is located at Spring Hill City Hall and is open to the public 24/7.
“The SHPD Safe Exchange Zone will be a positive first step in providing a safe meeting location for members in many online purchasing groups, such as Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or VarageSale,” E-911 Director Brandi Smith said. “This location will be a highly used resource in keeping Spring Hill citizens safe.”
The exchange zone is comprised of three parking spots in the lower front lot at City Hall. In addition to video surveillance, the area is well-lit and is near the Spring Hill E-911 Dispatch Center.
On top of providing the exchange zone, the police department recommends the following safety tips during internet exchanges:
- Meet in the Safe Exchange Zone or other neutral, populated and well-lit areas.
- Do not disclose unnecessary personal details and avoid meeting at your home.
- When possible, bring a friend to accompany you during the transaction.
- Beware of vague or “too good to be true” offers.
- Call 911 or the local non-emergency police number if you feel unsafe or see something suspicious.